Click here to receive email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Forties File Friday - Pets

Odd how growing up pets were not mine. They were family animals or decidedly one persons thing. We always had a cat that I can recall. There were some I know of but don't remember myself.

* Stadler, a decidedly Channa feline. Stadler was around a long time. Then she brought home Dremel.

* Sugar and Spice. We had sheep. I dont' remember the how or why we had them but we did... and we fought for them. I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 and Sparky and I went to the city council to petition to be allowed to keep our sheep. I can remember watching them be sheered.

* Bringing home a dog for only a few days and it destroyed Eden's shoes... me the one who doesn't like dogs... Finding Sorry dog irresistible

* I did not like birds. We had an assortment for a few years. I was assured that they go to the tallest one in the room. I would crawl on the floor to avoid them landing on me... LIARS... they still landed on me! I also wasn't a turtle fan. Now Paige has some cool ones.. but technically those are tortoises... what we had were little aquarium stinky turtles.

* Jim, I heard that he had a pet chicken but I don't personally remember it, Taylor will always be remembered as the Granddog. Without grandchildren he was it! He got front seat privileges in Jim's car and was even ordered for in the drive thru! He made it into a family photo.

* Paige. Not sure if I can go here..... Fine line between pet and menagerie I guess... but love of animals was evident very young. Not of my love but hers! I can definitely remember NOT being impressed to hear that 'one of the white mice' was missing from the 'Rodent Hotel'! Cockateels, Guinea Pigs the stinky turtles were probably her doing too.. One I didn't mind too much was Norman the duck. I didn't even mind too much that given the chance he tried to swim in the pool! Norman lived with us (thankfully, outside), in Texas until one Thanksgiving week when he had vanished! That was most upsetting that someone would abscond with Norman!

* I've been corrected.. the birds were Edens' idea!

* I know we had a pony collection going. We were determined to save money for a pony... We got a gray one. A Hyundai pony, not quite the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. great cronology of the haultain pets... and now i'm scrambling scramling scambling for photos to go with my pet story..stories...

    like you nova i don't ever remember a pet being mine.. ! they just a""arrived''

    I hope that channa write and confesses to the number of felines that she cuddled home in her arms.. and started her plea 'ss nd puleeze !

    ive written the chicken story and found the photos..too ! . but thot that maybe Jim would like the first shot at the memory !

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, it was Statler (with a T). For a complete history of Channa's cats... visit http://blog.connollycrew.com/a-history-of-cats/

    ReplyDelete