Click here to receive email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Forties File Friday -- Decorating for Christmas

I think I'll post this blog just the way everyone sent it to me with out any punctuation or spelling corrections at all!!!

Today's Forties File Question is

Tell about a year you can remember decorating for Christmas or tell what your favourite Christmas decoration or decorating traditions were.

So once again in the order they were received:

MUM
(even while fighting a nasty computer virus!)

DECORATIONS OF THE PAST

When I was a little girl one of the most exciting things about decorations in general was going down town ( by bus) ..to look at the Eaton’s Window. These windows were so very decorated with everything suitable for a fairyland or toy land Christmas. The lights and colors beyond anything we would find anywhere else, right down to the sparkle embedded in the artificial snow. Decoration of this quality were available to commercial enterprises, and we didn’t expect to have them or see them in the average house.

By the end of the 1940’s and into the 50’s, people started to decorate more than just their tree ! and putting a wreath on the door.. But until then at least for those of us on Hampshire Road.. Eaton’s window was … The Christmas Place. Every year the display was different.. Every year they were a most extravagant looking display.. People were all lined up several deep ……entranced.. Children would be allowed to squeeze through and be up front.. we could tap and point on that thick window..… There was actually ;more than one window decorated.. probably three in total.. As the years went on , they became more exciting as mechanical technology was introduced.

The elves would move a little, sway back and forth, or Santa would raise and lower his pipe. I remember one year there was an unbelievably beautiful fairy princess. Every sequin and shiny fabric adorning her, sparkling in the lights as she turned on her pedestal.. the favourite window of little girls.. Another time, a favourite window display was a pond with skating partners…gliding down the pond. Animated bunnies, squirrels and birds watching them.. Little boys and dads.. swarmed the window that had the moving train on the track….watching as the train went in and out of tunnels , around mountains and through pre-plastic, paper-mache forests. Oh we never wanted to leave the windows.. . By today’s standards these large Christmas displays would probably seem pretty simple and unsophisticated… But to me and my peers they were simply magical!
However, the Mums wanted to get on with errands or shopping.. In my mind.. the trip was to see the windows…not to be rushed off.. but of course there was a further agenda. The promise of a malt in the bargain basement of the store was sufficient bribe to pull us reluctantly away.

NOVA

I always loved getting to watch and sometimes assist as the village was spread out on the fake snow in the Dining Room on the buffet. All homes should have such a wonderful alcove over built in shelving with a majestic window backdrop for the sole purpose of housing a Christmas village. So I have of course over the years accumulated a village set of my own. It has a much larger snowman presence though. (I'm a little obsessed with snowmen in my decorating)
Another decoration I loved was a simple brass angel/candle decoration that when lit would twirl around and the metal sticks would hit the bells below and make a sweet dinging sound.... I was ecstatic one year to find my own at the D.I. I had to have it of course and it delights my children. If I recall it was displayed in the large main hall on Haultain... and at our house... it decorates the upstairs bathroom... just a high traffic area!



EDEN

The village at Haultain, the plastic candles in the window, certain ornaments, our wooden name plaque all scream childhood Christmas. I liked the garland on the banister, the advent calendar with the pockets.

The Santa mugs, the special pink dishes and the yellow foil star.

(This one has been so loved that all the colour has been worn off, but it still brings back memories)

My favorite was the brass angel with the candles, I could sit and watch that forever as a kid. Loved it (see above in Nova's post)
Now, I like snowmen and penguin decorations, red poinsettias and garland.

VALERIE


Decorating for Christmas: My Mom collected nativity sets. To decorate, we'd unpack one figurine at a time, and sing a Christmas carol for everyone we'd unpack.

Favorite Decorating Year: The year Bailey came to help with Audrey. She did all of the decorating, and I was so grateful for her help, and had so much fun enjoying her excitement and delight in decorating our (formerly Nova's) tree.

3 comments:

  1. wheew !! i am so relieved that i am not the only one that didnt
    "take the time" !!! sorry nova!! keep up the good work.. do we have a weeks extension?!! i never was good at homework and deadlines you know! why would i be any different now?!! do we get another chance?
    and hehhmm( throat clearing sound..)
    mum has a laptop that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reply to jills comment ...

    yes i do have my old computer but i did my blog on the
    one good computer before it went bad. an i didn't want to
    write it again. hoping against hopes that my real computer
    would resurrect itself .. but it hasn't so. Once my thoughts
    are out of my mind its hard to capture them again. I'll
    write a new one ! different topic.. I have until midnight !

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just teasing mum!! trying to get the focus away from the fact that i had not done it! at least you did it!! and i know what thats like to write something witty and from the heart and lose it.. in fact a few years ago, that happened to me, with one of novas assignments, when she had started to gather them , and and i lost it, i was so disheartened it had taken me a long time, and poof , it was gone,, and you know , i am pretty sure that the topic was the xmas memories.. how ironic?! what do you mean til midnight ?! is that the new deadline we were given?!!

    ReplyDelete