Growing up we had what I guess one would call dinner parties. It was a time when we ate in the formal dining room and used the pink duralex dishes instead of the bronze colored ones. Invariably it meant a guest or two for dinner... often the missionaries. With so many different ages and not wanting anyone to feel excluded we often gathered in the living room and played what I guess would be called parlor games..... or brain teasers. (We couldn't just have small talk I guess)
Johnny, johnny
Pass the scissors crossed or uncrossed
I think there was one with spoons.. like chinese spoons or something
And one that could only be played in the living room at Haultain... find the light switch
I'm sure we did other things but these were definitely ones that stood out for me.
This last fall when Valerie was here we played Johnny and pass the scissors. I realized that my own children didn't even know the trick. It was so fun to see the 'aha' moment as each finally figured it out.... and to watch how frustrated Patrick was getting, he kept saying "I did it just like you and you say no, then I do it just like you again and you say yes.... there really isn't a right or wrong is there?", but then Sarah and Caleb caught on and he really got frustrated! Valerie didn't take too long though... she's a quick cookie!
When I made it a forties file question I thought it would evoke more memories but it didn't really do it for me so I guess that even after 2 weeks that's what happened to everyone else too. I'll work on better questions for the future!
don't fret over your questions nova .. every one elicits memories for all even if all don't submit their memories !
ReplyDeleteI so appreciate the ideas coming to light.. even if its just the question alone that adds to the family biography ! We did a lot of things that are fun to recall..
those dinners alone ! ! so many and so many people... and in texas ! wow.. the house was always full....
Yep.. let the questions come . parlor games travelled to texas with us and educated many there ..I wonder if they are still playing them !
ahh what a great way to entertain the Loneys! !