Click here to receive email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Forties File Friday - Camping

Camping.... Did you like camping growing up, did you have a favourite camping trip or location, do you still camp now as a result of positive memories of camping as a child.... ?

Ahhhhh, camping. Purposely putting yourself into discomfort in the name of recreation and relaxation!
We did... we do.... and it's always more work than it seems and usually as much fun as hoped for!

My camping experiences growing up were varied and memorable! I went to Brownie camp two different summers I believe. There was a cabin that we always went to, a great set up with long tables for eating and crafts and the walls were lined with bunk beds. I made my presence known right away by falling off the top bunk in the night. (not the last time that would occur in my life either!)

I don't how we got involved in 'family camps' but we did.... these were not positive places.... One year I was a champion of stilt walking.... until I fell and banged my head... concussion at camp .... such good wholesome recreation!

Then the year to always be remembered, when I awoke to the LARGE spider kissing my lips! My lips were soo swollen... 'kind hearted people' referred to it as a snout! I couldn't put a spoon in my mouth to eat and I can remember having to go ask if I could have a straw to suck up my oatmeal with .... why no one offered to get it for me I don't know... instead of making me go up and try to speak with enormous lips... Never been much of a spider fan....

No idea if it is the same camp as any of the above mentioned but one camp had a small success... Camp Imodene.... why it had a name and the others didn't??? ... but for a campout we sure came away with some cute ceramics?!???

I know that as a family we camped with the Richards family... at least once.... I'm sure it was as exciting as could be expected with a family of ten and a family of nine!

Camping took on another type of adventure when we left one of dad's work parties I believe one time and Mum and the younger kids all went on an unplanned adventure... camping along the way and ending up at Hornby.... Hornby would for many many years be the camping, long weekend, holiday, any spare time destination for many years to come. We bought the 'gowaydumbee' cottage with the loft that would later be disastrous for Eden, but would be filled with memories and a few odd jobs......
When we first arrived at Hornby... there was always the chill in the cabin that had to be dealt with. Some how by bed time it was just right and we would snuggle into our loft beds with Dad reading books from the couch below. Then when the heat became so unbearable at oh... 3 am... there were great Skip Bo games at the old 60's diner table down where it was a little more bearable... It was a great time... we learned a lot about Mum through Hornby... Who knew she was such an outdoors woman... a pyro at heart and a fan of two seater dutch door style outhouses?
I've never been a huge fan of the beach... not liking sand much... but I do have fond memories of playing on the beach both at Hornby and at Willow's beach. The giant clam, sand dollars, rowing in the blow up boats, playing in the tidal pools..
... but this is about camping not playing at the beach and I do have another camping 'experience'.

As a young woman.. having attended girl's camp every year I passed all the required stages to become an advanced Adventurer qualifying me for the campout of a lifetime.... "the west coast trail"... This is a rugged and famous trail that many an experienced hiker looks forward to completeing and adding to their repertoire of great hiking trails....
Unfortunately... I am unable to truthfully add it to my list... other than to say... I started the west coast trail on a sunny day in August... My backpack held the maximum weight that was allotted to me... We set off in good spirits.... we had trained for this and we were ready... just not ready for what was coming our way! The first day we encountered all the things we had been told to expect... rickety bridges, rope ladders, small streams, narrow pathways, waterfalls, other hikers, but by that night we also encountered... the life flight helicopter on the beach where we were camping for the night... to take one of our leaders to the hospital for chest pains... he had a small stroke...
On we went... the next day... as it started to rain.... and rain... and rain... It rained the rest of the trip with patches of cloudy sky here and there.... But on we hiked over hill and dale... through brush and muddy trail... pulling ourselves across ravines in little wooden? boxes high above on a wire.... (who created the trail?)

As we camped each night... the goal was to try to get dry and rest. We were 15 and 16 year old girls... we were exhausted and aching. On the third night as I was sitting as close as I dared to the fire to warm myself and rotate my hiking boots next to the fire so they would dry out for wearing the next day... I failed to notice when one tipped over into the fire. It was luckily brought to my attention before the boot was completely destroyed... but there was definitely a hole burned through the side of the boot and part of the sole had become a melted mess. but it was dry now!

The next morning found us with a torrential downpour. We were camped along the shore and had quite a bit of beach walking that day... Somehow one of the tents had sprung a leak in the night and so 4 of the girls had wet gear... wet sleeping bags and essentially wet everything to now lug with them. Our spirits weren't quite so high anymore. There had been some twisted ankles along the way and cuts and scrapes which would have been inevitable. The rain had slowed us down quite a bit and now with some girls completely chilled we were struggling with getting out on schedule and intact. Then another leader fell... I don't recall what she broke but I'm fairly sure she broke a bone. It was arranged that one of the remaining leaders and an older girl would hike out to the nearest exit and send some help back.

We made a camp mid day and tried to dry out. We spent the afternoon drying out gear and waiting. By early evening the rain stopped but the winds picked up. But so did our luck.... sort of... The coast guard had been sent to our rescue! I've been told of the cute coast guard trainees that were on board that night, and of the chef's amazing dishes that he served to the girls that came aboard.... but as one of the first aboard the zodiac that took us out over the choppy waters to the rescue ship and then having to climb aboard with the sea spray whipping up at us. I'm queasy at the best of times on a still boat... this didn't improve.... We were shown to some berths where we could change into dry outfits and and lay down if we liked.... oh how I liked! I slept through the next 6 hours of adventure that I've been told was quite a feisty night at sea with all those sailors.... but I just wanted my head and stomach to stay where they belonged until we docked in the marina and found our parents who had been wakened to pick up their rescued daughters a little early from their hiking experience.

All these experiences did not stop me from taking my own children camping....
I've done the mormon trail with Caleb at 2 in a handcart, gone on ward campouts in SLC , camped in oregon, wyoming and arizona and had adventures in my own backyard.... but it's already too long a post for one Friday, so I'll save all that drama for another time.

So far responses are in from John, Dad, Eden, Paige and Mum and can be found by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment